Setting up Roster Sync
Sharing Roster Data in ClassLink
- The first step to enable the Roster Sync is to add the Hatch Insights app in ClassLink. Click here for detailed instructions on how to add a roster app in ClassLink.
- In permissions, ensure that you have shared data with Hatch Insights.
- For Teaching Strategies GOLD® users: Each child will need to have a date of birth as shared information in order to sync information to Ignite and send documents via HatchSync. The date of birth allows us to better identify children between systems.
For users with existing child data in Insights, sharing date-of-birth / demographics can also help speed up the first sync.
- Make sure to only share classes which are in relevant schools or grade levels to prevent sharing unnecessary data with Hatch.
Data Considerations and Limits:
- As mentioned above, the date of birth for each child should be shared via demographic information if you plan to send documentation to Teaching Strategies GOLD® via HatchSync.
- Each teacher can have a maximum of 10 classes assigned.
- Each teacher should have at least 1 class assigned.
- Each teacher can be assigned to only 1 school.
- Each child should not have more than 4 parents/guardians assigned.
- Each child can be assigned to only 1 class at a time.
- Each class should have 1 or more children assigned.
- (Recommended) Classes should not have more than 32 children assigned each.
Add Connection Details
- Once data has been shared from ClassLink, an organizational admin in Insights will need to establish the connection to the ClassLink roster server. Upon login, the admin will be taken to the Roster Sync Settings page.
- For the ClassLink connection to be successful, you'll need to collect:
- Your rostering endpoint URL
- Your rostering key
- Your secret or password
- These values can be found in ClassLink if you are logged into ClassLink as an Administrator with access to the Roster Server. The Roster server can be accessed from the LaunchPad as shown below.
The Roster Server can also be accessed from the dropdown menu in the top-left.
- Once in the Roster Server, visit Apps at the top.
- When you see your list of installed apps, find Hatch Insights.
- Select the gear for More Actions beside the Hatch Insights app.
- Select API in the left column.
- You will then see the Key and Secret for Insights displayed in the main area of the page.
- Your endpoint URL appears at the bottom-left of the screen whenever you are in the Roster Server. This is the same for all your ClassLink apps.
Set the Schedule
- The Roster Sync can be configured to run daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Daily syncs can only be run in the off-peak hours to avoid changes during peak usage.
- Select “Save Schedule Settings” to save and allow the sync to run at the next scheduled time or select “Sync Now” to immediately start a one-time sync to populate the data from ClassLink. Unless there is an error with the import, the Sync Now option will not be available again until the next scheduled sync has run.
Allow Removal of Data or Not
- If you toggle on removal of data, then data removed from your rostering platform will be deactivated or removed from your Hatch roster also.
View Sync Status
- Organizational Admins can view their Sync Status and Import History by clicking the “View Sync Status” link on the Success Page or by navigating to Org Management -> Roster Sync Status