Setting up Roster Sync
Watch the video or follow the steps below to learn how to set up your automatic roster sync with ClassLink.
Step 1: Add the Hatch Insights™ app
- After our sales team has enabled auto rostering for your organization, the first step is to add the Hatch Insights app in ClassLink.
- Simply log into your admin account and navigate to the app library.
- Here, you can search for Hatch Insights and click Add. Click here for detailed instructions on how to add a roster app in ClassLink.
Step 2: Share Roster Data in ClassLink
- In permissions, ensure that you have shared data with Hatch Insights. There will be three options for sharing your data, as seen in the following image. For more information about these options, please read this article.
- Make sure to only share classes in relevant schools or grade levels to prevent sharing unnecessary data with Hatch™. For more information about Hatch data rules, check out this article.
- For Teaching Strategies GOLD® users: Each child will need to have a date of birth as shared information in order to sync information to Ignite by Hatch™ and send documents via HatchSync®. The date of birth allows us to better identify children between systems.
- For users with existing child data in Insights, sharing date of birth/demographics can also help speed up the first sync.
- With any sharing method, we recommend including your children's demographic information so that they start Ignite at the most developmentally appropriate skill level. For more information please see: Ignite™ Placement for Kindergarten Children.
Note: At this time, you can also add the Ignite by Hatch™ app, following the same instructions.
Step 3: Add Connection Details
- Once data has been shared from ClassLink, an organization admin in Insights will need to establish the connection to the ClassLink roster server. Upon login, the admin will be taken to the Roster Sync Settings page.
- For the ClassLink connection to be successful, you'll need to collect:
- Your rostering endpoint URL
- Your rostering key
- Your secret or password
- These values can be found in ClassLink if you are logged into ClassLink as an administrator with access to the Roster Server.
- The Roster Server can be accessed from the LaunchPad, as shown in the following image. It can also be accessed from the drop-down menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Once in the Roster Server, visit Apps at the top.
- When you see your list of installed apps, find Hatch Insights.
- For more actions, select the gear icon beside the Hatch Insights app.
- Select API in the left column.
- You will then see the Key and Secret for Insights displayed in the main area of the page.
- Your endpoint URL appears at the bottom left of the screen whenever you are in the Roster Server. This is the same for all your ClassLink apps.
Step 4: Set the Schedule
- The Roster Sync can be configured to run daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Daily syncs can only be run in the off-peak hours to avoid changes during peak usage.
- Select Save Schedule Settings to save and allow the sync to run at the next scheduled time, or select Sync Now to immediately start a one-time sync to populate the data from ClassLink. Unless there is an error with the import, the Sync Now option will not be available again until the next scheduled sync has run.
Step 5: Set Additional Settings
- If you toggle on Allow removal of data, then data removed from your rostering platform will be deactivated or removed from your Hatch roster, too.
- If you toggle on Send emails, then you will receive emails about your sync statuses.
- If you toggle on Auto-carryover from last year's data, we will automatically attempt to match children from your archive to children coming in via sync.
- If you toggle on Allow edits to classroom names to override roster names, this will allow you and other educators to edit the class names in Hatch.
Step 6: Set Educational Journey For New Children
- You will only be able to select the Hatch products that you have licenses for.
- Select the educational journey that you would like ALL new children to get when they're synced in Hatch.
- You can always change or update children's educational journey on their child profiles in Hatch or using our Bulk Journey Updater.
Step 7: View Sync Status
- Organization admins can view their sync status and import history by clicking the View Sync Status link on the Success page or by navigating to Roster > Roster Sync Status.
- If there are issues with your sync, you may receive an email like the one below. It may be the case that you entered some information incorrectly on the Roster Sync Settings page. If you continue to have trouble, please contact Hatch™ Customer Support.