Why Are Child Photographs Important?
Each child logging in to play Ignite by Hatch™ or IgniteTable by Hatch™ should have a photograph of themselves before play can begin.
An audio prompt will ask the child to "Touch your picture to play!" This interaction ensures Ignite and IgniteTable are child-directed platforms that do not require an adult to be present for play to begin.
By selecting their photo, children tell us who they are, ensuring we can measure progress and present experiences that match each child's development level.
How are Photographs Added?
In this article, we cover the ways to add photos in Hatch Insights. If you want to add photos in Ignite please see: [Teachers] Adding Child Photos in Ignite™
Adding Photos From the View & Edit Children Page
- An easy way to see which children have photos and which don't is by navigating to View & Edit Children under the ROSTER menu.
- Here, you'll find a column labeled Photo Status. Children with photos will show "Has Photo" in this column. Children without a photo will show "Needs Photo" in this column. Children whose families have submitted a photo will show "Needs Approval" in this column.
- When you click on Needs Photo, you will see a pop-up requesting you to add the child's photo via camera or file upload.
- When you click on Needs Approval, you will see a pop-up showing the photo the family member submitted and options to approve or decline it.
- When you click Has Photo, you will be taken to the child's profile page to see more details about the child and view their current photo.
- On the View & Edit Children page, you can also filter the children in the list by their photo status.
Adding Photos With the Photo Pop-Up (Teachers Only): Useful for Bulk Rostering
- Because adding a real photograph is done at the child level, teachers usually add each child's photo.
- For this reason, Insights will automatically present a pop-up that provides options that allow teachers to add or request a photograph for each child.
- This pop-up is especially helpful if children have been added via "Bulk Import," such as a .CSV import or a roster sync, which provides all child data, except the photograph.
- It is recommended that Administrators who complete these imports ask their teachers to sign in and check this popup to provide real photographs for each child.
- Any time a teacher signs into Insights, our system checks for children who still need a photo, and the following pop-up will appear.
- Each child without a photo will be listed in the pop-up. The pop-up will also provide options for the teacher to take a photo using the system camera or upload a photo.
- If a family member account has been added along with the child's info, the teacher will have the option to request a photo from the child's family member by selecting Request Photo from Parent.
- The family member will receive an email to upload a photo to Hatch Insights. Once the photo is uploaded, the teacher will receive an email informing them that it has been uploaded.
- When a family member/guardian submits a photo, the teacher will be prompted with a similar automatic pop-up to review. From here, teachers can approve the photo or request a retake.
Adding Photos by Adding and Editing Children in Web Forms (Admins or Teachers Only)
- For educators who manage children through the use of our Web Forms, they can easily take or upload a photo for any individual child.
- For educators adding children using our forms, they will see the option to add a photo on each child's profile.
- If a teacher has no children set up in the class yet, the following form can be found under ROSTER, when you click Add New Child.
- If admins or teachers wish to add photos to children who have already been added in the system, they can do so any time by editing the children.
- To edit children, log into Insights and navigate to your ROSTER menu (this option is available to administrators and teachers).
- Select View All Children.
- Select Edit in the right column.
- From here, educators will either see the current child photo, or they will have the ability to add a photo.
- Select the camera to take a photo with a system camera, or select Upload to upload a photo.
- Teachers and admins can also request a photo from the family member via this form.
- To request a photo from the Add or Edit Child form, select the Request Photo from Family Member checkbox, then select SAVE or DONE. This will send an email to the family member requesting a photo. To learn more about requesting photos from families, see our help article.