The Teaching Strategies website provides a CSV data export of roster data that can help Ignite users set up their data a bit more quickly. The data is not a perfect match, but can save much time (especially when beginning from a blank slate).
As a bonus, if your child data in Insights matches your child data in Teaching Strategies, more children will match automatically to GOLD for sending of documentation via HatchSync!
This article focuses more on child data, but will direct you to similar sources for schools and classes.
- Begin by logging into Hatch Insights as an Organization Administrator and then download our import template for the import you wish to complete.
- Visit the ROSTER menu, then in the Import section, choose Roster CSV.
- The import page should display an option to download a blank template for each kind of data.
- Within the page, review the contents of the template and the guide to familiarize yourself with the required data.
Exporting Roster Data from Teaching Strategies
- This example highlights how to export data for the Children & Parents import.
- Sign into the TeachingStrategies website with administrator credentials.
- After you are signed in, look for the icon with your organization's initials in the top-right corner, and select Administration:
- Inside the Administration area, select Children:
- Inside the Children view, select the program and/or sites for which you wish to import data to Hatch Insights, then choose the Submit button (in the right column). This is a good time to ensure you have access to all the data needed for import into Insights:
- In the page, a table that provides a preview of the data that can be exported. You will see a link titled Select Columns to Display. Choose this link to configure the data:
- A popup will appear. Select all the boxes you see here.
- First name (selected by default)
- Last name
- Birth Date
- Age or Class/Grade
- Primary Language
- Primary Teacher
- From here, you will see a more detailed column set in the page. Confirm that all the data you need is present, then select the small red Export Table link at the bottom:
- In the Reports Queue, select to download the report you have just formatted. When the download is complete, check your downloads folder for the file:
- To ensure what you have exported contains the data you wish to add to Hatch Insights, we strongly recommend a thorough review.
Exporting Other Useful Data
- The resulting spreadsheet will contain much of the important information needed to set up children in Hatch Insights (not including parent info).
- PLEASE NOTE: The Children & Parents import currently calls for a teacher email address, which is not included here. IF columns are configured to include email, this can be exported from the Users tab in Teaching Strategies:
- If you have not yet added your schools, we recommend using the Site names exported from Teaching Strategies to define your schools. You can do this in Insights using the Schools Import Template.
- Please Note: You can export more complete data for your Schools import by visiting the Sites tab in your Administration area and selecting the needed columns (Contact Phone, Address, City, State, Zip Code).
- If you have not yet added your classes, you may wish to use the class names exported from Teaching Strategies (to define classes in Hatch Insights).
- Using Teaching Strategies data for schools and classes will make it easier to add children with exported data from Teaching Strategies.
Preparing Data for Import
- It is important to be aware that the files exported from Teaching Strategies cannot be directly imported into Insights. The import will look for the headers built into the Insights template.
- However, to save time, much of the data from your Teaching Strategies export can be copied and pasted into the Insights template.
- If you are importing children, please ensure the spellings of class and school names match any spellings that already exist in Insights.
- You will probably find that some values, such as the Grade spelling, do not perfectly match inputs for Insights. You may be able to fix these formatting differences with a simple find and replace.
- Similarly, a No Response value in Teaching Strategies data may be a Not Specified value in Hatch Insights for Race and Ethnicity fields.
- It is likely some cleanup will be needed, but on the whole, importing this data from Teaching Strategies can save large amounts of time!
- PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: If child first and last names and birth dates match the values in Teaching Strategies, more children will automatically match, which means the children's documents will being sending sooner!